I think the code in master is close to releasable modulo the breaking
change that we have agreed should move to 3.x.  The clean way to proceed on
the 2.x branch would be to go back to the commit that introduced the new
exception type parameter, cut the branch from there and then port all of
the subsequent changes.  That would be a lot of manual work to do
individually, referencing each commit.  Do we think that this is necessary?

I see two alternatives.  One is to cut the 2.x branch from master and write
a script to make the changes to remove the type parameters, then do one
commit to revert that change.  Second is to do basically the same thing,
only creating the branch from the prior commit, then one big commit to both
port subsequent changes and get rid of the type parameters.

I am OK if people think we need to go back to the breaking commit and
individually port commits from there.  It will just take a little longer.
I am also obviously open to any better suggestions on how to do this.

Phil