Before I answer your questions - I'll say that looking at the commons-math
codebase it is apparent that it's focused on specific functional
computation, rather than util-like features. So I agree this probably
doesn't fit well there. I honestly did not know commons-numbers existed.
I'll check there and then either move this discussion there or commons-lang.

(I'll respond to your questions anyway just in case this ever comes up
again or anyone is curious)

The use case is reading of text data (e.g. CSV) where significant figures
are implied according to the standard rules. Data that is already typed to
a standard java Number would have no inherent significant figure tracking
and it cannot be reliably determined (for the reasons you mentioned). If
the data is represented in that fashion then sigfigs must be
provided/applied separately.

The significant figures of the input data are inherently "verified" because
scientific calculations of this nature are provided by humans (obviously
cant account for some forms of human error) and humans will know
the precision of their apparatus, and can communicate it using the standard
rules of sigfigs - If thats not the case then the user should not be using
this api. Because the input data is verified, the output data is also
"verified" as long as this logic is correct.

I don't believe there is a need for repeating special characters when a
number of significant figures is known. In the case of infinite precision,
the BigDecimal class already handles that. When significant figures are
known then something like 1000/3 can and should be reported as 0.3 (or in
scientific notation) because there is only a single significant figure in
that calculation. A repeating 3 would imply precision that does not exist.
(Admittedly I need to double check this. I know that for pure mathematical
values e.g. conversion from feet to inches, the conversion has infinite
precision. However as long as the initial measurement has a precision then
the output will also necessarily have that same precision). Intermediate
calculations can use infinite precision, which could be handled internally
via BigDecimal. But final results should be reported with proper sigfig
rules applied.

You are correct that "1" would not be the same as "1.000" and for clinical
/ scientific data this is known to be important. "1" implies 1 sigfig,
"1.000" implies 4. This is why the data most likely will be represented as
text.

Determining if the String is a number is simpler in this case I think?
Assuming decimal base (and potentially scientific notation) there are a
limited number of characters and syntax. isCreateable() attempts to handle
different bases as well as type qualifiers whereas this logic would be
restricted to decimal base and syntax. (theoretically I suppose you could
use a different bases, but scientific calculations are rarely, if ever,
carried out in anything other than decimal. Seems natural that they would
be out of scope).

As for a wrapped class, my initial thought (though I havent worked out the
details) would be to extend BigDecimal and use its arithmetic logic.
Relevant methods would be overridden to ensure the sigfig subclass is
returned. There may be issues with that, I havent fleshed it out.

Ultimately the initial goal would be to simply count the number of sigfigs
through some text util/parse method. The fact that sigfigs are normally
conveyed via textual representation means that many of the issues you might
encounter trying to derive them from pure numbers doesn't apply.

Hope that answers more questions than it creates!

Dan