I can't add to the JIRA bug but I had a quick play on WSL (debian),
Java 21, compress 1.25.0 and found:
Using dd if=/dev/random I could create a big file, compress it with
bzip2 and then decompress it with BZip2CompressorInputStream , no
problems
Same file compressed with pbzip2 was truncated at 900000 as described.
Those 900000 bytes were just the first 900000 bytes of the correct output
So it is pbzip2 vs bzip2, nothing to do with tar files.

Description for BZip2CompressorInputStream
(https://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-compress/apidocs/org/apache/commons/compress/compressors/bzip2/BZip2CompressorInputStream.html)
says there is another constructor with a boolean flag for
decompressing concatenated files.

Using this constructor appears to work OK.

Therefore I assume that pbzip2 creates concatenated bzip files?

Hope that helps
Peter