I may be speaking out of turn, but why not elect them directly to the
PMC? If they make a giant non-coding contribution, they belong on the
committee even if they aren't committers.

Of course, you could avoid any unhappy reactions to this by electing
them as committers (a la ted) first and then as PMC members. Clearly
you would trust them to commit if they ever felt the urge.