On Wed, Oct 5, 2011 at 11:37 AM, Ulrich Stärk <u...@spielviel.de> wrote:
> ...In the past we allowed every committer to be a GSoC mentor. This is only
> problematic with past
> students that still have Apache accounts but have never been voted in as
> committers. So we either
> have to restrict mentors to be PMC members or PMC-approved or make sure that
> we can identify
> temporary accounts created for GSoC students. I personally favor the second
> option...

I agree with the need to make sure temporary accounts don't stick around.

OTOH I think asking PMCs to approve their mentors would be good, if
only to make sure each PMC is aware of which of their committers are
mentors. This could be a simple lazy consensus approval, where we ask
each mentor to inform their PMC's private list, telling them to bark
if they disagree, and copy that message to our private GSoC mentors
list.

-Bertrand