On Thu, Apr 11, 2013 at 7:38 AM, Ross Gardler <rgard...@opendirective.com>wrote:

> On 11 April 2013 14:23, Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com> wrote:
>

> > On Apr 10, 2013, at 1:39 PM, Mark Struberg wrote:
> >
> > > + it's also pretty hard to spin of small enough tasks which can be done
> > in a GSoC project. Most of our projects need some really in-depth
> knowledge
> > prior to hacking a smallish task :/
> >

> > Looking forward to next year, it would be good for us to encourage
> > projects to have a GSoC tag in their ticket tracker to identify issues
> that
> > would be good candidates for students. The folks at OpenHatch recommend
> > clearly identifying tickets as entry-level, and then,  rather than always
> > cleaning up the so-called "low-hanging fruit", leaving them for
> entry-level
> > people. Such an approach might be employed, say, 3-6 months out from
> GSoC,
> > to start to identify good student projects.
> >

> We already do that. We could be more proactive about reminding projects to
> mark issues throughout the year.
>

> > Granted, this leaves things undone, but that's probably ok, if our focus
> > is indeed community over code.
> >

> No problem if an issue is tagged GSoC but gets closed before GSoC comes
> along.
>
> Ross

One of the issues is that we keep using GSoC + year as tag, so we pretty
much discard all the previous years project ideas that are still open. I
think using something generic like GSoC would make our project idea look
bigger without much overhead on mentors to prepare year over year.

--
Luciano Resende
http://people.apache.org/~lresende