On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 6:20 PM, Shane Curcuru <a...@shanecurcuru.org> wrote:

> I just switched to a Mac for much of my stuff, and am wondering how other
> committers organize their Macs and what kind of software they use.
>
> In particular, what's the best GUI-ish SVN clients?
>
> Your favorite basic text editors?  I don't need a big IDE, just simple
> markdown/python/ruby, and occasional web page editing.
>
> Also, a silly question, I know, but if I have my work on SSD, is there any
> reason that I should *not* configure FileVault?  It seems like a no brainer
> for any laptop.  Similarly, any reason to turn off the built-in Firewall?
>
> Related, what are decent options for parental control software for macs &
> iPads?  It's obvious that we will need some way to restrict and monitor
> what our daughter does on the computer...
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> - Shane

Take a look at this, seems like some good pointers :
http://www.josebrowne.com/from-windows-to-mac-dev.html

Also, install Xcode command line tools, that should give you most of what
you need (e.g. svn, git, and some other stuff required for basic dev)

As for FileVault, I use that with no issues (and you know, it's kind
required by our employers... in case you ever use your mac for work)....
but if you choose to do it, do it now, while you don't have much content on
the SSD. Firewall is always ON as well.

--
Luciano Resende
http://people.apache.org/~lresende