On Mon, Mar 03, 2014 at 01:51:57PM +0000, Dave Cottlehuber wrote:
> A number of software / ASF people I know, by virtue of working remotely, are
> also
> defacto “child handlers” while their partner works in a normal face-to-face
> job. It would be nice to facilitate conference attendees/speakers without
> requiring
> major family upheaval to take place.

Not everyone involved with ApacheCon (or conferences in general) has kids - one
thing I've learnt in the past is that there is no better input than what
parents tell you when it comes to stuff needed/missing. Would be great if you
could motivate the ASF parents you know to share what would need to change to
convince them to bring their family (depending on child age and other relevant
parameters).

One very simple example for illustration: It took me asking parents to
understand that conference dates actually make a huge difference for people
with children that go to school: Bringing those to a weekend event is trivial.
Working days outside of holiday season though is not an option. Obvious once
you hear it - not quite so obvious if you don't have children in that age
yourself.

Isabel