-- replying below to --
From: jan i [mailto:j...@apache.org]
Sent: Tuesday, February 3, 2015 01:12
To: dev@community.apache.org
Subject: Re: ApacheCon NA CFP closed

On Monday, February 2, 2015, Ross Gardler (MS OPEN TECH) <
ross.gard...@microsoft.com> wrote:

[ ... ]
> Ross: "Hey, you know you are doing cool stuff, you should consider
> submitting a talk at ApacheCon"
>
> A.N.Other: "Isn't that just for Apache people though"
>
> Ross: "Traditionally, yes. But we are trying to make it much broader than
> that. Apache is about producing open source software, so anything open
> source related is a potential fit. Anything that uses ASF software, like
> your work, is a really good fit"
[ ... ]

We should really make that clear to people, I strongly believe the general
opinion is  non-project talks are not welcome. I base this on the fact that
a number of talks for Denver and Budapest was rejected for being too
company like.

<orcmid>
   Are there ways to have talks that are not ASF-project centric yet do not
   become company-centric instead?  What about lessons learned, important
   practices, and maybe results of studies, whether from analysts or
   academic sources?
     If the only mention of a company in terms of its brand and products
   is confined to the logo on the slide pages, and affiliation of the
   author, might that work?
     Here are examples of situations that would get me into the room:
   Someone from Google describing their fire-drill system and an actual
   situation of a fail-over somewhere on the planet and all that happens
   to restore services.  (I loved a past report when a fail-over happened
   while fire-drilling was underway.)  Someone handling a serious DOS attack
   and how a defense-in-depth technique caught a penetration that was
   under-cover of that attack (making one up that might not make actual
   sense).  A study of how many-eyes does or does not show up on an open-
   source project and what the factors seem to be would be one too.
</orcmid>

[ ... ]