Hi All

Hopefully most of you will know about the Fast Feather Track? For those who don't, it's often described as:

a series of short talks, 10-20 minutes in length, covering things that are new / interesting / exciting / incubating / recently changed / etc. It's a great chance to learn about what's hot, what's new, and what's coming soon! Whether that's a new project entering the incubator, something shortly to graduate, or an amazing new area of technology that'll change everything when it's done, the Fast Feather Track is the place for it!

It tends to be a mixture of people having their first chance of speaking at ApacheCon, and old-hands talking about the fun new thing that has got them all excited once more. As such, it's an important source of practice for new speakers (many of whom go on to give great full talks the session after), and a chance for more experience ASFers in the audience to learn about interesting new things in a friendly small space.

(There have also been bigger FFT sessions during lunches, where more experienced speakers spoke to a bigger audience about fun/new/interesting stuff, which has worked well as and when the lunch setup permits it)

A few years ago, I made the mistake of asking the then ApacheCon conference committee what was happening with the Fast Feather track that event, and somehow landed up running it then, and for some time to come...

However, I worry that I might've been organising it too long, and so I'd like to offer it up in case someone else fancies taking over running it for Austin?

Organisational wise, it isn't too much work. You need to write a little bit about what you want in the track and who should submit (plenty of examples on the wiki! Just search within http://wiki.apache.org/apachecon). Then you just setup a form / google doc / etc to collect session proposals, put out the word to potential speakers (pmcs@, general@i.a.o, twitter etc), notify whoever you want to have, tell the LF what space you need, turn up and learn lots of new fun things! :)

So, anyone fancy trying their hand at conference organising with a nice small, easily manageable, fun mini-track thing? Fast Feather needs you!

Nick