Since Apache Zest (where I am the PMC Chair) was mentioned about called out
by the Board to create by-laws, I got curious to understand where that came
from, since I couldn't recall such order.

In reality, I wrote (copied) it myself in the Board Resolution to create
the project in the first place;

<quote>
RESOLVED, that the initial Apache Zest Project be and hereby
       is tasked with the creation of a set of bylaws intended to
       encourage open development and increased participation in the
       Apache Zest Project.
</quote>

My guess is that this is a standard text from way back in time. Last time I
was involved in establishing a new project (Avalon) before Incubator, we
had a pointer to the Jakarta by-laws and I think that was perpetuated to a
point where it become the default position, until Jakarta is retired and
the origin of the "default" is gone.

Pierre may have a point in that the Board Resolution text could be
formulated differently to reflect this "default" and "lazy" position.

//Niclas