Just wanted to make a comment on the mail from Louis Suárez-Potts <
lui...@gmail.com>, in which he related his conversation with James H., a
Slack engineer. Comments are inline below. Highlighting is mine:

So, I pinged the nice folks at Slack (and they really are nice!, or at
> least the guy I communicated with), and asked them about:
>
> * open source: No.
> * the issue of uncaptured conversations, as Ted D. mentioned ("there is a
> huge danger of *off-list discussions*…").

Here, I interpret "off-list discussions" to mean: "discussions occurring on
Slack that are not captured on the mailing list.

> To the latter, which James H. of Slack recognised as important, he
> suggested:
>
> <quote>
>
> ...our new-ish reactions feature:
> http://slackhq.com/post/123561085920/reactions
> One team I'm in has coopted a particular emoji to *flag conversations as
> off-topic – a friendly but brief way to say "please take this elsewhere"*.
> This probably wouldn't work for the social dynamics of every team, but it
> does work in this particular case.
>
> </quote>

 The Slack engineer (James H.) and Louis (see below) both seem to have
misunderstood "off-list", and confused it with "off-topic". The two are not
the same.

I further replied that in this case that the technical solution seemed
> interesting but that *given the basic nature of the problem (it’s a human
> thing), I’d guess that the solution will necessarily include discipline*.
> Cutting off options is going to get increasingly hard and we (Apache) run
> the risk of coming to seem fustian, stodgy, obsolete, old fashioned and
> everything else. Perhaps—as with GitHub—discipline and then yet more
> recognition of the importance of inclusive community, is the ticket.

Thanks...
- Ajoy