There may be others to respond but this is straightforward.

[orcmid]

The code base must be entirely visible to the general public and licensed with
the Apache License Version 2.0.

The ASF only supports open-source projects and the work of its projects is made
freely available to the public.  There are no exceptions.

> 2)      What involvement do contributing parties have in approving new
> additions/changes to the code base alongside/within the PMC?
[orcmid]

There is no special status of the contributing parties.  All parties contribute
as individuals, with support of their employers or organizations as may be the
case.  Members of the PMC have the only binding votes but there is continual
striving for consensus among the overall community of the project effort.

For an overview, it may be useful to look at the Apache Software Foundation
"Maturity Model for Apache Projects" at
<http://community.apache.org/apache-way/apache-project-maturity-model.html>.
Some of the items are in absolute terms, others are conditions that are strived
for in an Apache project.

> 3)      What is the likely success rate of a new Project proposal into
> your incubator?
[orcmid]

You should explore this question on the gene...@incubator.apache.org mailing
list.  Acceptance into incubation has to do with alignment on a proposal that
is accepted by the Apache Incubator project, the host for incubating projects.
There is a proposal template and you can see all of the proposals of accepted
incubating projects (so-called podlings).  See <http://incubator.apache.org/>.

However, such acceptance will depend on a proposal being aligned with the
conditions stated for your items (1-2) above.  If those are absolute barriers
to your interests, it is unlikely that going forward with an incubator proposal
will make much sense.

 - Dennis