It would be great to have some kind of statistics on how GSoC helps
projects longer term. Do students stick around? Does the code written
actually get incorporated into releases? Does it in fact contribute to
the mission of Community Development, or is it just a nice summer job
for these students?

To be clear, I don't question the value of GSoC. What I'm curious about
is whether these people actually end up participating in our
communities. My experience with GSoC outside of Apache has been that the
students don't stick around, and so the enormous time and effort put
into GSoC, while it helps the skills and career of these students,
didn't help the project longer term.

--
Rich Bowen - rbo...@rcbowen.com - @rbowen
http://apachecon.com/ - @apachecon