> Now, this is what I know as "equality in opportunity" and is why I am
somewhat skeptical to efforts focused on increasing so called diversity for
the sake of diversity, also known as "equality in outcome".

The implication of this line of thought is that, for example, women have
the opportunity to contribute to Apache and simply lack the skills to do
so. (I hope this sounds as absurd and as grossly offensive to the other
people on this list as it does to me.)

If women CHOOSE not to contribute, then we ought to start thinking about
why they would choose not to contribute. It might be the case, for example,
that Apache isn't a very hospitable place for women. And if that's the case
then, how accurate is it really to say we provide "equal opportunity".

Or perhaps it is the case that women are disadvantaged by society in ways
that make contributing to Apache hard (for example, not having the economic
security or free time necessary to contribute). And if that's the case, if
our organisation is only accessible to certain types of people, then how
accurate is it really to say we provide "equal opportunity".

Given that Apache exists to produce software for the public good (an
inherently political goal) it behooves us to understand the political
forces at work that impede our ability to grow and look after a community
of people who can help us do that.