Ted Dunning wrote on 8/1/17 6:39 PM:
> On Tue, Aug 1, 2017 at 3:34 PM, sebb <seb...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Let me just point out that the reason that you are a VP is *exactly* to
>> be
>>> signing for the ASF.
>>>
>>> Every time you as a PMC chair sign off on a release, you are signing for
>>> the entire ASF.
>>>
>>> It is a *big* deal.
>>
>> Huh?
>>
>> I thought the PMC was collectively responsible for voting on a release.
>> As I understood it, the chair has a simple binding vote like all the
>> rest of the PMC.
>>
>> I have never known a chair to perform a special sign-off on a release.
>>

> I don't think that a special sign-off is required, but the authority of the
> chair is required.

Documentation reference, please?

More to the point, all the discussions I've seen about releases are that
the Release Manager, as appointed (however) by the PMC, is the specific
human that's actually making and publishing the release - at the
direction of the PMC, who has held a [VOTE] blah blah to formally bless
it *as the PMC*, which makes it an act of the Foundation.

Formal "Release Policy":
  https://www.apache.org/legal/release-policy.html

Release Creation Process - steps to take:
  https://www.apache.org/dev/release-publishing.html

Release Distribution Policy - how it physically gets published:
  https://www.apache.org/dev/release-distribution.html

Huh.  No wonder people get confused - the intros to each of these three
documents (and some other obvious search hits about releases) could
stand an edit for clarity and big picture pointers.  8-)

--

- Shane
  https://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/resources