On 15 Oct 2017, at 23:41, Eric Keefe wrote:

Dear Apache,

I’m a junior a Willamette University looking to gain more experience developing projects (for free). I attached my resume which outlines my current experience.

The resume did not get through, which I believe is because the mailing list software is configured to strip off attachments.

But that doesn't really matter: contributing to an Apache project isn't like getting a job.

All of the open source projects look interesting. How can I apply to work on one of these projects?

The short version: just start doing it. Really, it's that simple to get started and you can pick up on the subtleties as you go. The code for all projects is readily available and with the exception of open security issues, the issues that need to be worked on are also open to anyone to see and work on.

The canonical starting point is this page: https://community.apache.org/newcomers/index.html
There's also the Help Wanted site: https://helpwanted.apache.org

In my personal opinion it is helpful to get involved as a contributor by starting as a user. No one except you can make you put some time into working on an open source project. If you USE the software you choose to contribute to, you're more likely to stick with contributing to it because you want it to be better.