Hi!

This is a summary of our impressions these days at OpenExpo, so we can use
them as a starting point for a post on the ComDev blog.

I would say the general perception is that it was a great event, with many
people stopping by to talk to us and interested in knowing more about the
ASF.
Although it is more a business-oriented event than a pure open source one,
there are several initiatives that are great, such as having open spaces in
the venue to give open talks so anyone around can participate, a startup
hub connecting projects and ideas, and lots of spaces for networking,
workshops, and hackathons.

We talked to many people interested in a wide variety of projects, people
that just approached to say thank you for our labor, and people that just
wanted to know more and understand how the ASF works internally. We also
had some conversations with people from other open source circles that
could help us in community outreach: we've been offered to record a podcast
again this year (in Spanish, though), and PJ also discussed an opportunity
to improve the promotion of the ASF in Italy.

Regarding our talks, we did an open debate about the challenges projects
face when going open source. The idea of the open debate was great, but it
could have been better if the organization had arranged the space
differently. It was right in the center of the venue, where anyone could
stop by, attend and participate; the idea was great, but the
"implementation" could be improved. Anyway, this is the first year they are
trying this kind of open talks, and I guess they'll improve it as they get
feedback from participants. The other talk, Ismaël's one, got a lot of
interest and he had a full room of people interested in knowing about The
Apache Way. There were also several technical talks about Apache projects
done by pure users and consumers of those projects, which is also great.

In general, our perception is that it is an event worth our presence, as we
have many opportunities to better explain to people what we do, who we are,
and how companies and communities can benefit from open source and
collaborate to make the ecosystem better.

These have been a couple funny days. Thank you very much to Ismaël, PJ, and
Luciano for being so kind and helping a lot at the booth, and to
everyone (especially
Sharan) that helped us with the organization.

Cheers,

I.

P.S. PJ already wrote a blog post about the event. You can read it here:
https://www.open4dev.com/journal/2018/6/7/apache-members-at-openexpo-europe-
2018-wrap-up