Hi Chris,

On Wed, Mar 20, 2019 at 1:43 PM Christofer Dutz
<christofer.d...@c-ware.de> wrote:
> ...CS40 - In Apache projects, vetoes are only valid for code commits and are
> justified
> by a technical explanation, as per the Apache voting rules defined in CS30....

I wrote that bit as that was my understanding until very recently.

We had fairly long discussions (on members@ IIRC) last year about this
and my conclusions are:

a) vetoes do apply to code as per
https://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html ("Votes on code
modifications") but that page clearly explains how they can happen,
with strong justifications.

b) vetoes are not recommended for other decisions, due to the
potential for blocking things (especially in small projects) but PMCs
are free to decide for themselves.

Joan linked to http://couchdb.apache.org/bylaws.html which is a great
way to clarify this *for a specific PMC* even though nowadays we
prefer such things to be named "community guidelines" instead of
bylaws.

CouchDB does accept vetoes only for technical decisions as per the
default ASF model, but as per "3.8. Decision Types" they require
stronger 2/3 majorities for some decisions.

That's the kind of things that projects can decide for themselves,
https://httpd.apache.org/dev/guidelines.html has another example. I
have added those links to
https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/DefaultProjectGuidelines

-Bertrand