a super-quick reply:

IMO, all aspects of the Apache Way can be found at the start. Basically, there
were a number of people heavily dependent on a hunk of software, the single
person who was writing it left, and it left us (and everyone else who was using
it) in a lurch.

We never want that to ever happen to anyone again. We want to build healthy,
viable, long-term communities around software projects; we want to optimize for
the volunteer contributor, because if they are passionate about the
project/community, they will stay with it, and work on it in their spare time.
We want it easy as possible to bring in new blood, make it worth their while to
do so, and enable them to have just as much influence and say as people who
have spent longer times on the project, as true peers. We don't want to
disenfranchise anyone because who knows where potential contributors could come
from. And because we were all using the software for various personal
self-interest reasons, we wanted a pragmatic license and collaboration process.

It is from this mindset, that all tenets of The Apache Way derive...