On Tue, Aug 6, 2019 at 2:04 AM Daniel Gruno <humbed...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 8/6/19 2:54 AM, Christopher wrote:
> > The new reporter wizard helps folks create a board report, but it
> > doesn't seem to have any of the other features of the current
> > reporeter.a.o tool. For example, helping them to manage recorded
> > releases (https://reporter.apache.org/addrelease.html?<tlp>), view
> > community health score (https://reporter.apache.org/chi.py#<tlp>),
> > quickly view JIRA stats and PMC/committer changes, etc.
> >
> > Are all of those features available elsewhere, or will they be
> > replaced by the new tool?
>
> Hi Christopher,
> I am wondering if you are perhaps looking at an older cached version of
> the tool? Or maybe I am misunderstanding what you mean by having the
> information available, but I'll attempt to answer in any case.
>
> PMC/committer changes should still very much be in the editor, under
> "Membership data", including new information bits such as the age of the
> project and the ratio between committers and pmc members.
>
> JIRA stats and a whole bunch of new stats, are available in the
> Community Health section, though they are not inserted into the report
> itself by default, as the board have expressed countless times that they
> do not wish to just see these figures, but rather a description of the
> significance of the numbers. When you are in the community health
> section, the right hand panel will display statistics such as:
> - jiras opened/closed
> - github prs/issues opened/closed
> - emails sent
> - commits done, committers active
>
> It will also allow you to see the most discussed issues/emails, and as a
> new thing, it will display how tickets/code/committer figures relate to
> the previous quarter.
>
> The 'Project activity' section lists recent releases or, in the case of
> no such things found, the last three releases, and has a link to
> managing the release data.
>
> As for the CHI score, we can have that displayed in the tool....but,
> it's a rather arbitrary figure that I made up, and it has caused some
> confusion in the past. Perhaps that warrants a longer discussion :)

The score may be arbitrary, but it's still useful to view
upward/downward trends of the score in the context of a single
project.... not so useful to compare to other projects.

> If, instead, you mean something along the lines of "I don't want help
> writing a report, I just want to casually look at the data available",
> perhaps what we could do is display that on a separate page that has the
> same information as the wizard, but just displays all the data on one
> big page?

Yes, that's basically what I'm getting at. As far as I can tell,
https://reporter.apache.org is useful to 3 groups of people:

1. PMC Chairs preparing board reports (the bottom "Report template" section)
2. Release managers (recording new releases -- probably the most
frequent visitors)
3. Viewing of the informational content (charts, graphs, list of
historical releases, stats, etc., to include use of "Members-only
Quick-nav" button)

As far as I can tell, the wizard is only a substitute for the "Report
template" section of the site, satisfying the first use case, but not
the other two. The second use case is easily satisfied with a few
links ("Add a release", "Fetch releases from JIRA", "Manage release
versions", or some equivalent set). The third use case seems to be the
focus of the current site, based on the layout, and the significant
space the different information takes up (colorful charts and fonts,
use of italics and bold, section headers to this various information).
It is this third use case that seems at greatest risk of being lost if
the site is replaced by the wizard (as is). If the wizard view were to
add these things, or if they were available on whimsy, then I think it
could replace the current view. But if the wizard were to replace the
site right now, it looks like those features would simply go away.