Adi,
Don't worry I know many veteran developers that are still new to open
source ;)

Take a look at the mentor program:
https://community.apache.org/mentoringprogramme.html

But the overall TL;DR is pick a project you think is cool, and just start
working on it:
- fix documentation issues
- add tests
- get involved on the project's mailing lists
- answer questions on stack overflow
- create bugs as needed
- find a small bug in the project's bug tracker and attempt to fix it.