If we take the maintenance of an OpenSource project as a business, we
need to figure out the market share of the OpenSource project.
The more popular a project, the more easy we can get the money from
the user of the project.  I think that is why TideLift has a bar for
the supported OpenSource project.

I'm not quite sure about the relationship between  "Support Inc." and ASF.
ASF is a non-profit organization and a vendor neutral organization.
ASF is not supposed to endorse the "Support Inc" to provide commercial
support for Apache projects.
I can see there are some PMC members started a new business companies
behind the Apache projects, even though they are still contributing to
the project, but they cannot use the Apache project branding for their
commercial product. I don't think we can mix charity work with
business work together in the same organization, we should put a clean
line between the ASF and the company.

Just my 2 cents.

Willem Jiang

Twitter: willemjiang