Fantastic recap Sharan. And very close to my observations.(I had no
idea about the rain though and I kinda hoped it was "exceptionally
wet" this year, so I might get better prepared next year in
anticipation of how it **really** can look like:D.

Some comments from my side now after I recovered a bit (actually it
took me quite some time to even wrap my head around what happened
there - it's easier now to recap after a few days).

It was my first time at FOSDEM. I had no idea what to expect (I've
heard stories but I decided not to prepare too much and treat it as an
exploratory visit so when I come next year (HInt! I will definitely go
next year no matter what). I usually try to speak at the conferences I
am going to, but since I did not know what to expect I decided not to
submit one and.

I am in general pretty new to the OSS movement and for me that was the
first time I had a chance to interact with many people including those
who are focused on the true and sometimes idealistic view on Open
Source. And by no means this "idealistic" is bad - it was kinda
refreshing actually. There are many conferences where doing business
and networking to make more of it is the main focus. FOSDEM is
definitely not one of those events and I think part of this is the way
how distributed and chaotic it is - there is simply no way to do
"business" there. But yes - networking was great, bouncing-off ideas
even exchanged at the pavement when bumping on a group of people you
vaguely (due to pandemic) remember a face of one person but not the
name of - was great.

I spent the vast majority of my time at the Apache booth and meeting
friends. Even if I planned to see some talks, I ended up not doing so
- there were quite a few talks various people mentioned as worth
seeing, so I will watch them online instead. what happened at the
"hallway track" was way more interesting. This is why I think it was
great that FOSDEM managed not only live-stream pretty much all the
tracks (that must have been hell of an undertaking from technical
point of view) but that - I believe all the talks will be available to
watch. But I think for many people who just want to learn something
and are less of a networking and hallway - there were some excellent
talks there to watch live and get inspired on the spot. So both
"sides" of FOSDEM seem to "do the job well".

I've learned a lot about how Apache is perceived from both - outside
and inside. I had many conversations - both short talks and long
ramblings from people who look at the Foundation from outside as well
from long and short-time members and people who were there at the
beginning and came to just say hello. But also random people from
various organizations, companies, students etc.  This is food for
thoughts that will keep coming back in the coming months.

Coming back to the "idealistic" part - I think FOSDEM is very unique
in the way that diversity of people you could meet was amazing - there
were both - young people who just start their career as well as people
who have tens of years of experience, freelancers and people who run
multi-billion companies. OSS was the common theme - and it
democratised a lot who you could interact with.

I do not have yet clear formulated thoughts for next year (and what
and how to prepare better myself) and how to encourage even more
participation from the ASF/PMC members - It will likely come closer to
when we start thinking of the 2024 one, but I think it's an event
worth attending to understand better the different vibes that are
present in the OSS community.

J.