I've already written about it in one of the previous talks -  I think that
we can have a good approximation of categories from the "Community Over
Code".

Except few language-specific categories there (Groovy which is clearly cut
by "language" not category) pretty much  tracks there are pretty nice
"categories" of the software we have in the ASF - and they are "important
enough" that someone took the lead and decided to volunteer thinking that
it's worth to "carve it out" as an "entity" at Community over Code and
managed to communicate their intentions to speakers who responded to CFP
understanding what the "track category" is about.

There are few generic (Incubator, Community, Sustainability, Server Side
chat with infra) that apply to various "categories" so we can leave them out

>From the https://communityovercode.org/schedule/

* Streaming
* Big Data Storage
* Big Data Compute
* API/Microservices
* Cloud and Runtime
* Performance Engineering
* Web Servers (renamed from Tomcat and Httpd -> this is my attempt to
categorise it similarly to others rather than by names of Projects/PMCs )
* Fintech
* Data Engineering
* Content Wrangling
* Geospatial
* Frameworks
* Internet of Things

Sounds to me like a nice set of categories that seem current and even have
a chance to be regularly refreshed  - potentially we could adopt it as a
way to see if there are significant changes/new categories.