The DOAP create page includes several fields that I think have limited
(if any use).

This makes it harder for projects to use the page, so unless a field
is genuinely useful, I think it should be dropped.

There are several fields which are not available elsewhere, and should
be considered essential:
 Project name & PMC [needed for uniqueness and identification]
Short and long description
Categories
Programming Languages

These are all likely to be quite stable (languages might change), so
should only need to be set up once.

These should be readily available from the project website:
Bug database
Download page
Mailing lists page
SVN repository
Git repository

Experience shows that these are rarely maintained, so should probably
be dropped.
But if it is decided to keep them, there needs to be some way to check
that they are still correct.

The releases section is also a pain to maintain (and the syntax is awkward).
I'm not sure it is even needed, now that there is the Project Release Listing:
https://projects.apache.org/releases.html

Maintainer is completely unnecessary.

It might be useful to retain the Implemented standard, though it is
very rarely used.

I think simplifying the form would make it less of a chore for PMCs.

Sebb