Hi Roman,

Well, I guess stuff like the content from Apache-legal wouldn’t be what I would
feel comfortable with having auto-translated.
But for most other stuff, I could imagine that storing the original and then
maybe using the openAI API to have it translated to English and then storing
that alongside on the incoming part, would be one option.
Then I could imagine that there must be some sort of JS plugin, we could
integrate into our websites that checks if there’s an original in that language
or to use the same API to dynamically have it translated.

But I understand that currently this is sort of a theoretic question.

I would doubt MS/OpenAI would appreciate us asking up to 2 questions for
everything that happens at the ASF:

  *   Is this content English?
  *   Please translate this content to English

Also could I imagine that this service would not be available to everyone and
in all countries, so probably for the ad-hoc translations a pluggable mechanism
probably would be required.

But I think it would be worth digging deeper, if there’s a general consent
here, that something like that would make sense.

Chris