Hi, folks,

I had a thought, while boarding a flight this week, that *short* instructional
videos, in the spirit of the Delta pre-flight boarding videos, would be a
valuable educational asset as we attempt to be more proactive in educating our
PMCs (and our communities in general) about how to work correctly in Apache
projects.

I have several such videos in mind, but I’m starting small.

One of the topics that I’m interested in tackling is how, and perhaps as
importantly, why, to vote on a release. This is obviously already covered by
official policy - https://www.apache.org/legal/release-policy.html - but we all
know how often people read the documentation. But a 2-minute video may get
across a few important points.

It is my goal to have a script written in the next few weeks, so that at
Community Over Code Bratislava I can capture most of the visuals, and the
narration, that I need to produce the video. The initial script is here:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1awCReR7WU3HuGULx2OD3TquGvt91c4P2UdA9LWNqQBk/edit

I’ve shared it for comment, and would appreciate comments and suggested edits.

Please note that this is NOT intended to be comprehensive. It is intended to
communicate two or three simple points, and then point to the docs. If we
attempt to make it comprehensive, all we will accomplish is that nobody will
watch it.

FYI, this is all part of a larger effort -
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1CjOvEu2P6nBraUH_YvIV6ri-5OD9I3huM4AlqxXZQmY/edit?usp=sharing
 - to be more proactive, rather than reactive (and scolding), about our rules.
The rules exist for specific reasons, but the way that we overwhelmingly
communicate them, as scolding when people fall short, has given us a terrible
reputation as only caring about rules and checkboxes.

—
Rich Bowen
rbo...@rcbowen.com