Ok, this doesn't seem to be a little thing and it concerns me:

-iOS don't synthesize variables via properties since it causes them to not
show up in the debugger. With ARC, it is now just as convenient to use
fields as it is properties for private members anyways.

Can you explain this a bit better?  Apple recommends using properties why
would be deviate from that? I haven't seen any issues debugging, can you
elaborate?  Some example code would help to make sure we are all using the
same terms.

thanks,
-becky