I suspect the real issue here is the shared dependency on cordova.js
which is, at least for now, a neccessary evil. (Once we move to a
light core and plugin all the things this should be way less surface
for hurt since plugins will, I'm going to assume/propose, become
independently versioned.)

But this does raise some interesting thinking. In a sense we treat our
tags like channels are treated in chrome.

X.X.XrcX === Beta
master === Dev
X.X.X === Stable

Except tags are static whereas channels are more like branches. Thus
the re-tag dance. We could consider moving to more than once long
lived branch. (Tho this would not solve cordova.js needing to be
tagged.)