This caught me off-guard as well, and I filed an issue to fix it up:

I don't think it'll be entirely straight-forward though, because some
plugins still do not support ARC.

What are everyone's thoughts on how to address this? One option is to have
the default project template already set-up with two lib targets. One for
ARC and one without ARC. Another option is to instruct users how to set the
compile flag to disable arc on a per-file basis.

Do we want to support ARC and non-ARC plugins in plugman?