Can someone please provide a "git cordova release process for dummies"
example to make sure I do the release commits and merges properly (the
committerWorkflow example didn't help me as I didn't understand the
topic_branch and to_be_merged distinction)

At any rate, can I do a git checkout apache next into my "master" branch?
 Then I can checkout my working_branch,  rebase master (which contains the
next code) checkout master, merge my fix and push apache next.
git checkout apache next
git checkout working_branch_with_fix
git rebase master
git checkout master
git merge working_branch_with_fix
git push apache next

and then repeat this for apache master with the possibility of needing to
use -ff when I merge.   Am I on the right track?

humbled by git,
-becky