Hey all,

Plugins need to be versioned to be backward compatible with previous
versions of Cordova. I had a discussion with the PhoneGap:Build team
yesterday and they need to be backward compatible. Ally Ogilvie also
mentioned in separate thread that game developers would also need something
like this.

We have already broken the plugin interface a number of times and we know
that a plugin implementation won't work across all versions of Cordova.
The plugin spec already supports an <engine> tag to specify which versions
of cordova it supports. However, It's expensive to clone down the
repository just to check if the plugin works or not.

I believe we should store some sort of mapping on our discovery server.
Such as:

{
  cordova_version: plugin_versions
}

That way when plugman tries to install a plugin it knows ahead of time
(before cloning the repository) if there is a version of the plugin that
works with the user's version of cordova.

This will probably be less needed after 3.0 when the plugin interface is
stable enough.

Thoughts ?

-a