I've messed around with programmatic view manipulation in native apps, on
droid and iOS primarily. There's no reason that I'm aware of that these
methods need to be private, and making sure that plugins/native code can
change the view layout is important for overall architecture flexibility.
It may not be the most common use case, but it's certainly an important one.

+1 from me