I'm not sure about moving the platforms folder, build artifact or no,
because one may be loading it in Eclipse/Xcode/etc. and burying it in a
hidden folder makes the tools more magical.

One of the other goals here is to make the tools magically convenient
without becoming voodoo. That's the fundamental goal behind turning
platforms/ into a build artifact: then the answer to "what files in here
can I edit, and which ones get updated when I run <some command>?" is an
easy, blanket answer: "Everything in those directories is a build artifact.
You can edit things quickly for testing, but expect them to get
overwritten."

Braden