Found a juicy hack that works around the webview disabling WebSQL for file:
URLs.

For our Chrome Apps plugins, we serve apps from chrome-extension:// URLs
instead of file:// URLs. This is possible via shouldInterceptRequest(),
where we just map the requests to the files.

So... I had the idea to test the WebSQL mobile-spec tests under this scheme
(while disabling Android's custom WebSQL work-around), and it seemed to
work fine.

I think that this means that we could change Cordova app urls to be
cordova:// (for ICS+), and could then delete the storage plugin.

What do you think?