It seems that part of the problem here is that there is a industrial
developer community that we do not have good data about. What about polling
that community specifically to get usage numbers and version support for
apps not deployed through the store? That data could be used to augment the
store data for better decision making.
We have a conference coming up where we might be able to get the word out,
we would just need to make a convenient way to collect and sanitize the
data.