One method that I've used is with cordova-cli. You can point cordova-cli
to use a local copy of a particular platform implementation. So, I would
clone down and check out the 3.0 branch for cordova-ios, android, etc.
Create a project with `cordova create tmp`. Edit tmp/.cordova/config.json
so it has this structure:

{
  lib:{
    android:{
      id:'cordova-with-no-plugins',
      version:'3.0',
      uri:'/Users/fil/src/cordova-android'
    }
  }
}

So in the above example, I am telling cordova-cli to look under
/Users/fil/src/cordova-android for cordova-android and use it instead of
what comes standard with cordova-cli.

Then if I run:

`cordova platform add android`

It will use my custom location for cordova-android to create a project. At
that point, I can `cordova plugin add
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/cordova-plugin-whatever.git` to
install any of the core broken-out plugins.