I'm relatively new, but from what I've seen contributions are made only to
master. The older x.y.0 branches don't see any commits after they have been
released, unless there is a serious issue that would require an x.y.1 release
because x.y.0 was broken at it's inception.

But 3.0.0 hasn't been released yet.

For 3.0.0 specifically, that is/was a temporary branch for some significant
work happening in parallel with 2.9. The 2.9 work was happening on master.
Since 2.9 was released, the 3.0.0 branch has been merged to master since the
work is now back to being serial. So the 3.0.0 branch is essentially dead,
commits for the 3.0.0 release are now happening on master.

So if you have contributions you want to make for 3.0.0, just follow the
contributor workflow instructions and work with master, as they assume.

-- Marcel Kinard