That all sounds good, but let's talk more about the git ref part:

It looks like our npm-based directory system is going to host the .tgz of
the plugins, so it won't matter what git ref the .tgz maps back to unless
we think that a lot of people are not going to use our directory service.

One thing that would be useful though, is a way to list plugins compatible
with your version of cordova (e.g. query for the latest version of
cordova-plugin-file that is compatible with 3.0.0). I think all that's
required here is to store the engine tag in the couchdb metadata alongside
the tgz.