Wow! I went to bed and came back too much awesomeness (that's what happens
when you are in the east coast :-) )

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback and brainstorm around
this topic.

I agree with Michal, I think cordova-cli doesn't fit the use case perfectly
because of bootstrap, cordova creates the empty directory and populates
workspace where grunt already assumes directory&file created
I agree with Tommy to many commands to get started. and thanks for the tip
of using npm link that could be use in the blog also

I will continue brainstorm maybe there is a solution outside cordova, maybe
some type of bootstrapping with template/scaffolding or "cordova init"

But from the discussion I think there are some good outcomes that I like:

*+1 Write a blog post about using cordova locally*
     The scenario (having one build server that runs cordova builds for
different teams/apps, not all teams might want to share same cordova cli
and its dependencies)
     Global requirements: Only node and npm install globally
     Installing with npm locally
     Running the local version (./node_modules/.bin/cordova or
./node_modules/cordova)
     Using npm link or modifying $PATH
     Checking into source control local node_modules/ including cordova cli
and its dependencies
           (http://www.futurealoof.com/posts/nodemodules-in-git.html) "Only
checkin node_modules for applications you deploy, not reusable packages you
maintain."
     etc...

*+1 Version detection for cli tool*
    cordova and plugman to inform the user that a new version of the tool
is available
[Bower] (http://bower.io) does something similar:
exp5:$ ./node_modules/.bin/bower install jquery
Update available: 1.2.6 (current: 1.2.5)
Run npm update -g bower to update
[image: Inline image 1]

*+1 I'm adding this one "version reporting for platforms and plugins"*
What about reporting the versions of the platforms and the plugins?

Today I only get a list of them but it doesn't let me know what version are
installed or check if a new version is available for plugin or platform.
Reporting what's install should be a good start

myHybridAppFolder:(master)$ cordova platforms
Installed platforms: android, ios
Available platforms: blackberry10
myHybridAppFolder:(master)$ cordova plugins
[ 'org.apache.cordova.core.device',
  'org.apache.cordova.core.device-orientation',
  'org.apache.cordova.core.dialogs',
  'org.apache.cordova.core.file',
  'org.apache.cordova.core.geolocation',
  'org.apache.cordova.core.globalization',
  'org.apache.cordova.core.inappbrowser',
  'org.apache.cordova.core.media-capture',
  'org.apache.cordova.core.network-information',
  'org.apache.cordova.core.vibration' ]
myHybridAppFolder:(master)$

--
Carlos Santana