Managed to get a simpler version of my email coding to work!

        var ifr = document.createElement('iframe');
>         ifr.src = "websql://foo";
>         ifr.onload = function() {
>           window.openDatabase = function() {
>                return
> ifr.contentWindow.openDatabase.apply(ifr.contentWindow, arguments);
>           };

Also needs a couple lines of Java to return "<html></html>"  for the
request to "websql://foo"

The gotcha here is that you need to make sure to not detach the iframe from
the document. No biggie, but need to be aware of it.

This can all be easily put into a plugin without any modification to core
:) The existing android storage plugin is in cordova-labs#plugins. I think
the right move would be to update this plugin, post it to the registry, and
tell people about it?