On Fri, Oct 11, 2013 at 9:08 PM, Andrew Grieve <agri...@chromium.org> wrote:

> The eval of the jasmine interface deserves mention. Is the motivation
> there that tests can choose to use another testing framework? That's why
> you don't just make jasmine functions globals?

I was hoping the plugins would need to depend on anything but CDVTest, and
not expect any globals.  I guess, though, that CDVTest still expects the
app to provide to a test framework and some other stuff, so in the end its
no different.  I was hedging on being able to update CDVTest in the future
for whatever we need, and all 3rdparty plugins would not need updating.
 eval() could be used to do all sorts of clever things if we needed..

> One nit pick just from reading your email is that this will cause the test
> js-modules to be injected into apps that use the plugins. I think probably
> we will want to update the tools to recognize a <js-test-module>. We
> *could* work around it by adding the tests to new plugins that depend on
> the thing they are testing, but I think changing the tools would be nicer.

I also mentioned splitting tests into second plugin but thats overkill
except in extreme circumstances.  Note that the tests aren't actually
loaded unless you require them, so its just a matter of larger binaries
which could be filtered out manually.

My person preference would be to support conditional build types, which
have come up before.  ie, cordova prepare debug, cordova prepare release,
cordova prepare test -- and plugin.xml could specify a different set of
js-module for either.

A specific <js-test-module> would be fine, but isnt "0 new tooling".

Also, I forgot to mention, but we do need to add support for getting the
full list of plugins installed, which should be trivial to add to
modulemapper (maybe there  is already a way to reach in, but I don't think
we have a documented api for it).

> Another nit is that it would be nice if the CordovaTests app didn't depend
> on any plugins. e.g., don't have it depend on device plugin.

CordovaTests doesn't explicitly depend on device plugin, except that at the
moment I have it printing the same info that MobileSpec does at startup.
 This could be wrapped in a try{}catch in case the require fails, but its
good info to have in the common case.

> Overall, really like the approach!

Thanks!