On Thu, Nov 14, 2013 at 8:32 AM, Braden Shepherdson <bra...@chromium.org> wrote:

> Others in the thread have proposed adding this data to the <feature> tags,
> and adding <feature> tags automatically for plugins that don't already have
> one (or alternatively, adding a new, autogenerated <feature> for every
> plugin). The problem here is that the various native platforms are
> expecting each <feature> to define a bridge name -> native code module
> mapping, and these new ones won't do so. This is a potentially
> bug-introducing change, because we'll have to make sure every platform can
> handle these new tags which aren't like the old ones.

I don't see why a change in an XML parser is a huge deal.

> All of this led to my original proposal: add a new top-level tag,
> <plugins>, whose children are exactly one <plugin id="..." version="..." />
> for every plugin installed on this platform. We would then have two
> separate lists in config.xml, but they are listing different things (bridge
> mappings vs. plugins) for different purposes. Since this is an addition,
> the platforms that don't support the new tag will just ignore it safely.

I don't think we should add this plugin tag.  This is just going to
cause even more confusion among our users.  I don't think sacrifice
clarity for developer convenience.

> I realize that the top-level <plugins> tag is something we had previously,
> before moving to the W3C <widget> spec's <feature> tags instead. I'm
> perfectly willing to change the name, to perhaps <installed-plugins>, to
> avoid any confusion with the old <plugins> tag. Any better suggestions for
> the names?

I think this should go in the feature tag so that it's clear what's
going on.  How is this feature supposed to help our users?