From: Sergey Grebnov (Akvelon) [mailto:v-seg...@microsoft.com]
Sent: Wednesday, November 20, 2013 7:59 PM
To: dev@cordova.apache.org
Subject: [For discussion] windows8 and run/emulate commands meaning

Hi,

Cordova cli provides the following three options to execute your app from the
shell:

*         run --emulator (or emulate) - to run the app on emulator

*         run --device - app will be executed on the connected device

*         run --target - same as above, but you specify particular device

Right now the only known method to programmatically start Windows Store app is
to start it locally right on your system. Windows8 platform is special since
you technically build your app right on the target platform/device. Due to this
I propose to treat both run/emulate commands for Windows8 platform as running
app locally.

Motivation:

1.       People actively use both run and emulate commands so it will be great
to somehow support them both.

2.       Right now we only know how to start app locally. Not sure we will be
able to implement other options in the near future. If we find the way to
support additional options we will change run/emulate meaning later.

Thoughts?

Additional details
When you are working with Windows Store app in Visual Studio there are the
following three options to test your app

*         Local Machine - app will be run right on your local system

o   easy to automate from command prompt

https://github.com/sgrebnov/cordova-windows/commit/7577a589766e14c2e2674ffb5a8081a308a743be

*         Emulator - starts Windows RT emulator

o   at present time I don't have solution to do the same from command line,
continue research..

*         Remote Machine - app will be run on remote machine (you should
specify target machine ip address + install special software on remote machine
- VS Remote Debugging Tools)

o   looks like we won't be able to support this option in the near future since
it is very complex

Thx!
Sergey