I can see this being nice for scenarios similar to ssh's StrictHostKeyChecking
option where DNS or other infrastructure may not be trusted, and for internal
enterprise networks that use self-signed certs as long as they put the cert (or
the cert's sha1 as you propose) in the app at build time.

It's improved security that would be purely optional, and quite easy to set up.

+1

https://www.owasp.org/index.php/Certificate_and_Public_Key_Pinning