It’s not just for self-signed certs either.

Google Chrome already does a variation of this (hardcoded) for Google’s certs.

I envisage developers being able to pin the certs for their own servers, but
even for services they use over SSL like parse.com and other BaaS provides.

The reason I am proposing the SHA1 fingerprint over the .cer file is that it’s
easier to get the fingerprint and include a string in a config.xml directive
than it is to include a .cer file. The easier it is to use, the more likely
devs will use it.

- tommy

>>> 2.
>>> http://blog.ioactive.com/2014/01/personal-banking-apps-leak-info-through.html