Unfortunately there are no such documents. I think the best references for
how the CLI works overall are my brain, and Anis' brain. Someday we should
write down an overview.

At a glance, it sounds like your bug might be caused by having a newer
cordova-android cached than 3.0.3 is expecting, causing the build and run
scripts to fail. Try deleting $HOME/.cordova/lib, and recreating the test
project.

It's also possible that the Android cordova/build script was simply broken
in 3.0.3; I can't remember for certain that far back.

Braden