I also think we should break it now. It's not as if we have never broken
anything before... keeping backward compatibility should anyways be
preferred but in this case I think it would cause more trouble than it
would solve.
I say don't write any migration tools but document the changes in
plugin.xml (<info> tag), write a blog post about it, tweet it, Google plus
it and... Be super loud about it.

It's not like we are breaking everything for everyone either. We have
plugin versions for a reason.

Another way of avoiding this would have been to pick a different name for
this plugin. Is it too late?