So, we discovered that a number of plugins are misusing an API in our platform
(exec). We changed the implementation, and this broke the plug-ins which were
expecting different but not promised behavior.

There's a cordova-cli platform update command, which is supposed to update your
platform, but it doesn't seem fair consider whether a platform could be
incompatible with a plug-in.

I'm considering having platform update have a way to check the installed
plugins and fail if they fit certain criteria. Does anyone have an opinion on
this?

Another approach would be for the platform update command to be able to
automatically update plugins (it should update them first, ideally to a version
compatible with both the old and new platform ; if it plans to update after the
platform and it's interrupted, then you can easily end up with broken plugins).

There is a before platform update hook available - although it isn't documented
at:
‎https://github.com/apache/cordova-cli/blob/master/templates/hooks-README.md

I will file a bug and patch for this...
I don't think that it would help. It would require a plug-in to know in advance
that it's buggy, which is unlikely. Knowing about bugs is more the job of a
registry (plugins.cordova.io?)

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone on the Bell network.